Site & Plant Maintenance Mechanic/ Technician
This role is responsible for delivering the daily maintenance requirements for the company’s mobile plant and vehicles. The role requires an experienced engineer who will complete fault diagnosis, repairs and complete planned and reactive maintenance, routine daily inspections and servicing on mobile plant, vehicles, and other ancillary plant machinery where applicable.
The role will also include fault diagnosis and repair of Electrical systems, Engine systems, Transmissions and Hydraulics.
The role will also be expected to assist in other areas of maintenance of static plant subject to work loads and business requirements.
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of mobile plant and vehicles.
- Responsible for the repair and maintenance of hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical and electrical faults.
- Ensuring that all plant and vehicles are safe to operate
- To carryout planned and reactive maintenance on all mobile plant and vehicles and to identify / rectify faults to ensure that they are safe to use and operational
- To carry out daily auditing of driver check sheets and report defects, trouble shooting, housekeeping and H&S to ensure defects are follow-up and rectified
- To liaise with mobile plant suppliers on a weekly basis, reporting hours and booking vehicle services and repairs, liaising with production teams to ensure minimal impact on daily operations.
- To use the company’s CMMS system to receive work and to update when work has been completed. To also record any stock items which have been used.
- To have an awareness and appreciation of the Company’s responsibilities under the Operators Licence
- To ensure that the mobile plant and vehicles are up to date with the relevant statutory inspections such as LOLER and PUWER Regulations
- Ensure Health & Safety and Environmental standards and targets are met and maintained whilst completing any maintenance and repairs to mobile plant and vehicles.
- To liaise with Managers and Production Supervisors to minimise operational downtime caused by Mobile plant
- Ensure that all the defect reporting and pro-active checks are noted within the planned preventative maintenance CMMS system and followed through to completion.
- A willingness to learn and develop new skills from the wider engineering team.
- Determine and communicate any training requirements for plant operatives to ensure the mobile plant is used and maintained appropriately.
- To provide general maintenance to the wider static plant to cover holidays, sickness and when there is a requirement for additional resource.
- Comply with all policies and procedures of the company at all times.
- Ensure all the property and equipment you use is cleaned, maintained and not damaged.
- Keep a log of all faults and repairs in an auditable manner and communicate to other members of the team via handover and email documents.
- Organise and prioritise your work to complete both planned and reactive maintenance in a timely manner.
- Work with the maintenance shift manager to archive KPI’s (key performance indictors), personal deadlines and those of the whole department when required.
Knowledge and/ or Experience (Minimum Desired):
- BTEC, NVQ, City & Guilds certificate or a recognised time served apprenticeship in maintenance engineering, mechanical engineering or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Experience in maintaining industrial heavy mobile plant such as articulated shovel loaders, material handlers, fork trucks, and telehandlers.
- Manufacturer knowledge of Liebherr, Heli, JCB brands.
- Understanding of maintenance and engineering processes and techniques.
- Understanding of mobile plant manuals and engineering drawings and schematics.
- A wide transport background experience
- Good time keeping and attendance record.
- High level of numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to work in a busy environment whilst ensuring the highest standards of accuracy.
- Effective communication skills.
- Flexible approach to work / willingness to be part of a rota for weekend callout
- A willingness to learn new skills is essential.
- Knowledge of maintenance CMMS software packages.
- Basic IT skills (word/excel)
Knowledge and Experience (Preferred):
- Knowledge of welding would be advantageous.
- A basic understanding of the Waste Management Licence.
- Trained in health & Safety and Hold an IOSH/NEBOSH or equivalent safety certificate.
- Trained on MEWP/Forklift/Confined space/COSHH.
- Full UK driving License.
- To make decisions on the maintenance requirements for the mobile plant and vehicle including planned and emergency.
- To make decisions on the requirement to take mobile plant out of use should there be a need for emergency maintenance.
- An ability to manage customer complaints and enquiries.
Emotional Demands of the job:
- Working in an environment which is processing household waste
- Unpleasant environment
- Pressurised environment to ensure optimum uptime
- Occasional night shifts
Creativity and Innovation:
- Ability to offer suggestions and improvements for the Company.
- Ability to develop management information reports and interpret data as required.
Salary £26,161 – £29,778 pa dependant on experience
If you would like to apply for this position please send your CV and a covering letter to:
The success and strength of a company relies significantly on the people within it. This is especially true for PPS which prides ourselves on employing highly motivated individuals who share our desire and commitment for quality.
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified, enthusiastic and talented candidates.
If you would like to forward your CV for future consideration, please contact us.